Helena Bonham Carter. Yeah she’s fun, fearless and quirky and that’s why we like her. When she becomes the face of a Marc Jacobs campaign, we turn our heads to check it out.
And the Makeup Artist chosen to complement Helena’s wacky style? None other than the incredibly talented Blanche Macdonald Makeup graduate Janeen Witherspoon!! With a Vogue cover, an exclusive for AnOther Mag (love AnOther!), a huge celebrity and elite model clientele and London, Paris and Milan Fashion Week shows every season, we can’t be more proud of our international High Fashion Makeup Artist rockstar!
Now that spring is here, we thought it’d be fun to expand our hair repertoire by recreating some spring ‘dos inspired by the runways of Alice & Olivia, Phillip Lim and Lela Rose. I grabbed three Blanche Macdonald staffers with long tresses and we picked out some lovely, DIY-worthy hairstyles – a windswept side braid on Sam, a romantic twist on Amanda and a whimsical chignon on Shaina! Here are three of-the-moment romantic and modern hairstyles that will take your hair off your neck and will keep you looking fresh and cool for spring.
For the Lela Rose spring ’11 runway, hairstylist Ted Gibson wanted to create a look that was easy and fun – one that exuded a carefree personality. Think riding horseback with your hair down and then pulling it into a quick braid. The more loose, messy and disheveled the better.
1. Rub and scrunch in a texturizing product so that your hair is one hot mess.
2. Blowdry your hair. Lift at the roots and use your fingers to create more texture and volume, especially near the front and sides of your head. The bigger the better.
3. Gently sweep all of your hair over to one side using your fingers.
4. Without crushing the volume, loosely braid. If you have longer hair, braid more tightly near the ends.
5. Strategically pull out some chunky strands from the braid.
6. Spritz with hairspray to hold.
This romantic twist as seen on the Alice & Olivia fall ’11 runway is soft, sweet, sophisticated and super easy to copy. It works great for medium and long hair lengths and upgrades the ol’ ballerina bun in a bit of a whimsical way. Click to see full story »
And if you haven’t already, check out the Fashion Forecast scene – a whole lotta photos of our cool, gorgeous and well-heeled guests, the fab Blanche Macdonald team of students, staff and volunteers behind the scenes, the models getting prepped for the runway and the stars of the night: our talented Fashion Design grads and their designs!